WHAT'S THE STORY WITH THE CHANGES?
At GRABmeGEAR we are a little obsessed with continual improvement so gear is an enabler to people getting out and enjoying nature; secure in the knowledge they have everything they need just to relax and soak it up. Saving the mental space to learn something about the place they are in.
We've listened to feedback and made observations of the gear in use, to make 6 key improvements in v3.0 from v2.0, which are:
1. Addition of a single deep front pocket - this larger storage area with a drain hole allows for larger items to be stored seperately to the main chamber. It will fit 2 standard recovery straps + shackles + blanket for quick & easy access. Also handy for placing wet gear to drain & dry. If you want to seperate recyclables or soft plastics that can be done. Or it can be used for whatever you need handy, be it fire lighting gear, sunscreen, tackle box etc. loads of options depending how you travel.
2. Bag Liner - to be honest we have been a bit anti-liner for sometime. Our preference was for people to use the canvas for what it was designed for and not use a plastic bag inside, just wash it out when done. What we missed is that this is not always a practical solution. You are not always next to your vehicle when you need somewhere to put your rubbish (like National Parks) and your vehicle can not always get close enough to a bin to dump through the bottom zip. So a liner has been added that you can easily remove, use and return without needing a single use plastic bag inside or aother bag to do the job. While PVC is not our preference as a material, it is a good, tuff long term alternative to single use plastic. We'll see what else we can come up with that does the same job over time, suggestions, welcome! Being bright yellow also helps you see what is inside and helps to make sure it is not left behind. It looks pretty cool matching the yellow stitching too...
3. For the Bin Bags, we have moved to Australian Made Dfab canvas which is made in Melbourne, Victoria. Dfab are an innovative company that are aiming to produce a 100% Australian Made canvas. At present, all Australian Made canvas is made from an imported 'loom state' cotton fabric. It is then impregnated by Australian Manufactuers to their unique specifications for our conditions. We love the quality feel of this canvas that improves with age.
4. UV stabilised Polypropylene Webbing straps. Previously we had been using Seat Belt style webbing and noticed that is turns white from the sun within 6-12 months of constant exposure. The strength is still there it just looks worn. We've been wanting to find a better solution for sometime and this is the next best step. At the end of the day, the Australian sun and synthetics do not play well for long periods of time so some fade is to be expected. Seat Belt webbing is weaved then dyed so the dye can leach faster. With Polypropylene the strands are already dyed black plus UV stabilised then woven so leaching is significantly reduced and looks significantly increased.
5. The zips on v2.0 have been working well, even in high dust environments and we've had no complaints so far. We just noticed the standard binding used faded white, like the seat belt webbing and did not look as good. So we have significantly upgraded with these sleeved zippers. They look great and should continue to look great, plus provide extra protection. They are not water proof, so some moisture may get in from driving rain; that is OK as it will drain out via the bottom eyelett.
6. At GRABmeGEAR we love gear to have a high level of style to match a high level of functionality. So we have gone all out with the yellow stiching throughout the bag. This is offset so well against with black canvas and is complemented with the yellow liner. We love how it looks! It's OK to hug a Bin Bag, isn't it?
Overall we wanted something that was both a joy to use and a joy to look at. We feel you should feel good each time you use a piece of crafted gear, something that does the job and puts a smile on the face at the same time! :0)